Atheism vs. Theism DebateQUESTION: Atheism vs. Theism Debate The Basics
The Atheism vs. Theism debate has been a fixture in Western culture for the last few hundred years. Remarkably, the same issues repeat themselves over and over again. Although certain double PhDs would like us to think otherwise, the core controversies arent really rocket science at all. In a nutshell, the Atheism vs. Theism debate comes down to the following:
The Atheists Response to the Theist:
- God doesnt exist because science explains the cosmos without him.
- Even if a finely-tuned cosmos and/or complex life suggest a first cause/designer, theres too much pain and suffering in the world to believe in the Judeo-Christian God.
- The Judeo-Christian Bible is myth and legend.
- A moral life doesnt require God, anyway.
The Theists Response to the Atheist:
- Science affirms that the finely-tuned cosmos was created out of nothing.
- Lifes order, design, and complexity require an Intelligent Designer, and our response to pain and suffering is relative to our knowledge of right and wrong/good and evil in a fallen world.
- The Bible is trustworthy based on history, science, archaeology, manuscripts, and prophecy.
- True morality requires a transcendent standard -- God.
This is the essence of the Atheism vs. Theism debate. Although the theological, philosophical, and scientific controversies might appear vast and intimidating at first, they really boil down to these four foundational arguments. Once you feel comfortable with these key areas in the Atheism vs. Theism debate, theres not much that will surprise you. Have fun and engage the discussion.